We keep on hearing news across the country about animals being treated inhumanely. Though we support the animals somehow we fail to establish guarded a place for them.
So if your support for pets is cocksure and you intend to open a pet shop in India, then this article is for you. As here, we will be discussing the registration process and procedure to be followed to own a pet shop in India.
Pet shop rules are legalized and are fabricated in accordance with section 38 of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960.
Registration of Petshop
As per section 3 of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Pet Shop) Rules, 2016 there is a prohibition on the operation of a pet shop or any other commercial establishment dealing with same without a registration certificate.
The underlying behind the said rule is to not only to obtain a registration certificate but also a blatant display of the certificate in the shop.
Q. What is the eligibility criteria to own a pet shop?
A. If you are looking forward to owning a pet shop, you must keep following things in mind:
- Individual must be above 18 years.
- Must be expedient.
- Must not be disqualified by law from entering into a contract.
In case of other than an individual which refers to association/corporation/company, such association/corporation/company shall be duly registered with the law.
For registration, one must file an application in the form prescribed under schedule-I along with a non-refundable fee of Rs 5,000/- has to be made to the state board.
Certificate of Registration
A certificate of registration will be issued by the State Board which will be voracious for a period of 2 years. The certificate will be inviolable in nature. The subject to renewal on payment of Rs. 5000/-
Q. What is the procedure to follow to obtain the license?
A. In order to obtain a license for a pet shop, one must file an application to the Animal Welfare Board of India, in the format prescribed in schedule I.
- When both representatives of board and local authority are satisfied with facilities offered by applicant they may sanction the grant of license to applicant for period of 2 years, on payment of a license fee of Rs 5,000/-
- The inspection report submitted by the inspection team needs to be duly signed by the inspector and accompanied by the application. True copy needs to be sent to Animal Welfare Board of India whereas the original is too retained by the local authority.
Singleton who do not need license to operate a pet shop
- A veterinary clinic/hospital
- An establishment that undertakes tasks for the betterment of animals and not engages in commercial animal trade.
- A shelter for animals operated by Animal Welfare Organization
Centrik has been working in the registration and compliances of business from last 5 years with domain experts. In the former, we tried to provide best of our knowledge about the above-mentioned topic. In case you have any further query you can reach our experts at firstname.lastname@example.org